At Medical Ambassadors International (MAI) we build relationships with the world’s most vulnerable people and together we work to heal communities both physically and spiritually. Many of the vulnerable people we serve are currently faced with the challenge of navigating COVID-19.
From the start of this very difficult situation, MAI immediately launched into action.
- We consolidated all available information on the COVID-19 virus and made it available on our website, and also to all the Regional Coordinators (RCs), who in turn passed it on to their teams. Quick action was instituted by the RCs in their areas to bring about awareness and prevention methods regarding COVID-19 in their local languages.
- We made provision of access to “NEW” COVID-19 Community Health Evangelism (CHE) lesson plans to all field leaders to arrange translation into local languages and distribution to their teams.
- We called for immediate cancellation of all domestic and international travel for U.S. based staff to minimize risk.
- U.S. based staff who had been traveling were advised to return to their home base and ‘self-quarantine’ if they had been in places with cases of COVID-19.
- We implanted a work from home policy for U.S. based staff with minimum travel to the home office except for extremely essential tasks.
- All leaders reached out to their teams through electronic communication to advise them on next steps.
- The Internship that was already in progress in West Africa was advised to take all necessary action through social distancing and other precautions as they wrap up the sessions. The Interns have been trained in necessary steps for preventing COVID-19 and will also take the training to their teams.
- We are providing 24/7 availability of leadership for any advice required by any staff globally.
MAI is positioned in thousands of vulnerable communities around the globe, working with local leaders to solve community problems. In this situation, our CHE strategy lends itself perfectly to bringing awareness and instituting a prevention program for COVID-19.
Yes, this situation is challenging, but our plan is like that of Nehemiah when he undertook to rebuild the wall. He knew that God had called him to the task of rebuilding the wall, and also that Sanballat and others were out to thwart his efforts. He reminded the leaders that God was with them, but they also had personal responsibility to defend the construction of their section of the wall! ( Nehemiah 4:16-21)
We will continue to share messages of encouragement, comfort and hope from Scripture with our teams and those we serve. We will continue to mobilize resources to educate and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
What can you do?
- Pray for our RC’s and field staff as they seek to calm fears surrounding COVID-19. Pray for God’s protection and provision of health.
- Continue to financially partner with MAI. Our ministry is on the front lines serving the poor and vulnerable around the globe and we are counting on you.
- Do your part to stop the spread of COVID-19.
We are so grateful for your prayers and faithful partnership. We will continue to pray for you and your families during this time of crisis.
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.